Four new plays.
Four live readings.
ON STAGE | New Play-Reading Festival
10th Anniversary New Play-Reading Festival
Submissions OPEN until January 1st
This project is open to any unpublished and unproduced Theatre for Young Audiences (TYA) scripts to be considered as one of four plays to be featured in the New Play-Reading Festival this coming season at The Growing Stage Theatre – The Children’s Theatre of New Jersey.
The New Play-Reading Festival is a wonderful opportunity for artists to have their unpublished works presented before an audience, in a play-reading scenario, by a cast consisting of both professional and amateur actors on two separate rounds during our season (Spring/Summer 2021). After each reading, there is a dialogue among the audience, performers and playwright, if present. After 2nd Round of play readings, one of the four scripts are then selected to be presented as a fully mounted production in The Growing Stage’s 2021-2022 season!
Plays should be intended for young audiences through high school age and have a minimum performance length of approximately 45 minutes.
Scripts may be previously workshopped, but must be unpublished and not committed to publication.
Supporting materials (resumes, photos, reviews, etc.) should not accompany submissions.
Playwright may submit up to two scripts.
NPRF Submission Guidelines:
- Send a Brief Synopsis & Script via email as a PDF to Danny Campos, NPRF Director at email@example.com
- The playwright’s name must not be visible anywhere on the script. Please include the playwright’s name, address, phone, and play title in your email submission.
- If you choose to send a manuscript via mail please note that the script cannot be returned. Playwrights should include a self-addressed, stamped postcard for confirmation of receipt of their scripts.
- Musicals are eligible. Submissions must include a sample recording of the music and lyrics. Please do not send a written score.
- Playwrights shall allow the release of their names, addresses, and play titles to The Growing Stage.
- If your script submission is an adaptation, we do ask that you also please include proof that you have permission from the author to adapt their work.
Mailed submissions should be sent to:
The Growing Stage – The Children’s Theatre of New Jersey
PO Box 36
Netcong, NJ 07857
Our New Play-Reading Festival celebrates its 10th Anniversary this season and features four brand new plays for young audiences, chosen from the over 100 submitted works annually. Each piece is carefully read by a select committee comprised of directors, performing and teaching artists, educators and young people. The four finalists are provided two readings during the season, read by professional and community artists in a casual setting. Following each reading a discussion of the work with our professional team and the playwright. Lastly, one of the four plays will be selected to become a fully mounted production next season.
With Two Wings (2012)
Secret Life Of Hubie Hartzel (2013)
And Then Came Tango (2014)
The Book of D (2015)
Box of Stories (2016)
Boy Sees Flying Saucer (2017)
John Henry (2018)