ON STAGE | Playwriting FEstival for Young Writers
Inaugural Playwriting Festival for Young Writers
Submissions are now open!
Since 2011, the New Play Reading Festival has been an integral part of our Creative Arts Academy. Through this unique program, students, families, playwrights and artists have experienced the collaborative process of bringing new theatrical work form page to stage. From our first 6 submissions during our first year, the New Play Reading Festival has blossomed, now receiving over 160 new works annually from aspiring playwrights throughout the U.S. and around the world.
In recognition of the Festival’s 10th anniversary, we are excited to introduce the Growing Stage Playwriting Fesitival for Young Writers. Our mission: to provide young, emerging writers a platform to express themselves artistically and to share their voice. Finalists will be provided the opportunity to mentor with a professional playwright, helping them to hone their skills, talent and confidence.
The 2021 TGS Playwriting Festival for Young Writers will begin on March 15th and culminate with an “Evening of Scenes” in August 2021.
Our Playwriting Festival will take place over the course of three Rounds:
Synopsis & Scene
March 15th - April 15th
- Submit a synopsis and a scene from your play.
- We encourage new works or a fresh perspective if an adaptation.
- All work will be read and feedback will be given for each submission.
- Semi-finalists will be notified in April.
Semi-Finalist Selection & Full Play Submission
Semi-finalists will submit their completed play by May 15.
All semi-finalists’ submissions will be read and feedback will be given for each play.
Four (4) finalists will be notified by June 15.
Finalist Selection, Mentorship & Showcase
March 15 - April 15
Each finalist will be assigned a professional playwright/mentor to assist in the continued development of their play.
A director and actors will be assigned to each playwright/mentor duo to assit.
Each finalist’s play will be showcased at the Festival’s conclusion during our “Evening of Scenes” in August 2021.
Playwrights must be aged 10-18 on April 15, 2021; co-written plays are accepted, provided all writers meet the age requirement. Co-written pieces must include contact information for each writer.
- You may only submit a SYNOPSIS and SCENE from one play for consideration.
- Use a clear, standard font.
- Your submission must include a COVER PAGE with: Play Title, Playwright Name, Playwright Date of Birth, Age, School Name, E-Mail Address, Contact Phone Number, Mailing Address.
- No identifying information, including your name, should appear anywhere on the synopsis page or the scene pages.
- All submissions must be postmarked or submitted by 11:59pm EST, April 15, 2021. All electronic submissions must in PDF format. We do not accept Google Docs.
- To submit by E-Mail: send your synopsis, scene and cover page as a PDF with your working play title in the subject line to: NewPlays@growingstage.com
- To submit by MAIL: Send your synopsis, scene and cover page to:
TGS Playwriting Festival for Young Writers
c/o The Growing Stage Theatre
P.O. Box 36
Netcong, New Jersey 07857