The Land of Forgotten Toys: A Christmas Musical
Monday, October 17th at 7:00 PM for Young Artists ages 10-17
Tuesday, October 18th at 7:00 PM for Adult Artists
Auditions will be held in-person at The Historic Palace Theatre – 7 Ledgewood Ave. Netcong, NJ
Please Note: The Growing Stage Theatre is located in northwestern New Jersey and no regular mass transportation is available. As per The Growing Stage’s Health & Safety Policy, all staff are fully vaccinated. All auditioning must be fully up to date on vaccinations for COVID-19 in order to be considered for a role.
The Growing Stage celebrates and encourages diversity in all of our productions. The Growing Stage is a professional company dedicated to presenting quality theatre for the entire family.
- GRACE, 17 years old, bright, committed, driven. Loves Astronomy but is stuck in a dead-end job at SheTOYgan. (A3-D#5, belter)
- NIKKI, 19 years old, loves Christmas, and works with Grace at SheTOYgan. A ray of sunshine personified. (A3-E5, belter or mix)
- SCHMEDRICK, an awkward, anxious, and scatterbrained elf. Dreams of being a repairman. (D3-G4)
- CHARLOTTE/CHARLOTTA: • Charlotte, Grace’s aunt, begrudgingly runs SheTOYgan, but dreams of giving it up for a “real career.” (G#3-B4) • Charlotta, Santa’s younger sister. Devious, cunning, and ready to make a profit on Christmas.
- SANTA (and Customer, Icicle Giant, Dad), Jolly Ole Saint Nicholas himself.
- ELF 1 (and Customer), Charlotta’s scheming henchmen.
- ELF 2 (and Customer), Charlotta’s scheming henchmen.
- QUEEN OF THE NORTHERN SKY (and Customer, Mom), human embodiment of the constellation Cassiopeia. Rules over The Land of Forgotten Toys.
- KARAOKE (and Customer), female. Lives to inspire with music, has a lot of charisma. (Db4-Db5, belter)
- FUN OVEN SUPREME (and Customer), female. Northern-mother type. (Bb3- Db5)
- BARBARA (and Customer), female. Classic looking Barbie Doll with a tough contemporary edge. (A3-Db5, gentle mix)
- TRIVIA (and Customer), male. A bit of a know-it-all. (C3-D4; if a tenor, higher harmonies in ensemble moments)
- GAME DUDE (and Customer), male. Fun, party-time jock, lives for the thrill. (C4- A4 if child actor with unchanged voice; if a tenor, higher harmonies and alternate solo notes provided)
- TAXI CAB (and Customer), male. Smart, and a bit sassy.
- CUSTOMERS, various ages, frantically trying to nab the best gift three days before Christmas at SheTOYgan.
This show is designed for 14 actors. A larger cast can easily be added as an ensemble.
Adult performers will have the opportunity to be compensated on our Community Artist, Emerging Artist, or Professional Artist pay schedules depending on production size and budget. Youth performers receive valuable experience alongside our adult performers.
Open call, no appointment required. Auditioners are asked to prepare sixteen measures of a song with printed sheet music for the accompanist. There will be cold read sides from the script based on type and a brief dance routine taught by the company choreographer.
Rehearsal schedules are generally two or three evenings during the week and a weekend afternoon. All cast members are expected for all performances, with no exception since the company does not cast understudies.
November 26th-December 1st, 2022
Friday, December 2nd, 9th, and 16th at 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, December 3rd, 10th, and 17th at 4:00 p.m.
Sunday, December 4th, 11th, and 18th at 2:00 p.m.
About the Show:
Book and Lyrics by Jennifer Enchin & Jaclyn Enchin
Music by Dylan MarcAurele
Story & Additional Content by Larry Little
Additional Lyrics by Mike Ross
Directed by: Danny Campos
Musical Direction by Laura Petrie
Choreography by Noelle Cappuzzo
It is three days before Christmas. Grace, almost 18, works in a toy store owned by her grumpy aunt, Charlotte, who adopted her after her parents, who owned the store, died. Nikki, also works there. Grace doesn’t fit in at the store. She is deeply interested in astronomy, and yearns to go in search of adventure though she is set to inherit the toy store when she turns 18. She begs for a chance to go far away.
Suddenly the lights go off; Grace and Nikki are transported to the legendary Land of Forgotten Toys. They meet Cassiopeia – Queen of the Northern Sky – leader of The Land of Forgotten Toys, and various toys. They discover that Santa has been kidnapped by his evil sister, Charlotta, and that, in answer to Grace’s plea, she has been chosen to save him. Grace finds all this hard to believe, but she admits that the universe is full of surprises and that she did truly want an adventure. So she agrees to help.
Grace, with Nikki’s help, discovers what is going on. They meet the elf, Schmedrick, they encounter the Icicle Giant, and they confront Charlotta. Grace eventually leads them all, including the toys, in saving Santa. They discover that the toys are not misfits; in fact their “flaws” are key to their success. And Grace discovers that she, too, really does fit in. Santa is freed. He confronts Charlotta but graciously grants her another chance.
Grace returns to the toy store with a new perspective. She reaches out gracefully to Charlotte mending their relationship and revealing that she now sees a new possibility for the shop. And a new name – Unforgotten Toys – a shop with toys for every kind of child! For, while we are all different, none of us are really misfits. And even in the darkest galaxies, there is always light!
Please contact Matthew Fralley, TGS Production Manager at email@example.com with any questions.